5 Key Steps to Successful Remote Team Management
Table of Contents
- The Benefits of Remote Teams and Work-from-Home Employees
- 5 Key Strategies for Forming Your Successful Remote Team
The Benefits of Remote Teams and Work-from-Home Employees
You can reap many benefits by implementing an effective remote team and allowing employees to work from home. According to Global Workplace Analytics, remote work increased 173 percent in the United States between 2005 and 2018. If you are considering creating a remote team for your company, here are 5 key strategies and best practices to consider.
5 Key Strategies to Forming Your Successful Remote Team
Use Technology To Help You Hire the Right People
When you use software to build your team, you save time and frustration. Programs for hiring and managing workers use data, systems, and artificial intelligence capabilities to find new talent. Businesses that provide these advanced solutions typically pre-vet applicants to offer you a selection of top-quality candidates.
Software applications also help you manage your team. You can access features that enable you to conduct check-ins, set goals, and create one-on-one meetings. These products can help you find potential issues, optimize productivity and improve human resources.
Provide Effective Communication Tools
No matter where your employees conduct business, U.S. News & World Report points out that communication is a crucial component of your workplace. However, communicating with workers who are not onsite presents unique challenges. Some tips for connecting with your staff effectively include the following:
- Communication software offers an efficient way for employees to collaborate, talk with each other, and coordinate schedules.
- Videoconferencing technology creates an easy avenue to connect with your team face to face, allowing workers to see body language, hear co-workers’ tone of voice and ask questions.
- Organization solutions like Asana or Trello provide communication opportunities and streamlined ways to keep track of productivity, objectives and assignments. Defined protocols for your teams are essential to ensure everyone understands your expectations and knows how to contact other team members as needed.
Create Opportunities for Connection
As an owner, you know the importance of successfully connecting with your customers through web design, social media and marketing. It is also vital to develop relationships with your employees. Create opportunities to foster social bonds with your staff and help everyone get to know one another. Some suggestions include:
- Require team members have a photo on their profiles.
- Have one-on-one check-ins as well as team meetings.
- Create a social group on Facebook or another social platform.
- Encourage people to share personal stories through quick questions at the beginning of meetings, fun social media challenges, online games, or Google forms.
Form a Business Structure
Remote businesses have the same legal requirements as brick-and-mortar companies. In addition to your team, you need a formal business structure. You can file yourself to avoid paying attorney fees, or you may choose to hire from one of the business formation services to assist you. Forming an LLC offers many benefits, such as:
- Less paperwork involved in the setup process
- Flexible business arrangement
- Advantages when filing taxes
- Limited liability benefits
Be aware that each state has unique regulations regarding how to form an LLC. Check the laws in your area before you begin to ensure a smooth process.
Focus on Objectives
Instead of dictating the process of how people achieve their work assignments, center your management around goals. When your staff works remotely, they are likely juggling many competing commitments. Allow employees to determine the best methods and times for a productive workday. Strategies probably look different for each employee. Offering flexibility gives your staff the ability to complete tasks using their best practices, improving job satisfaction and productivity.
Creating and Managing a Productive Remote Team:
When you put thought into creating and managing your remote team, you gain many advantages for your business. Although your processes are different from those employed in a traditional office setting, structuring your operation this way can grow your company and keep you on the path to success.
Do You Need Assistance?
Fat Cat Design is Here to Help
Strengthen your business, solve marketing issues, and connect with your target market.
Fat Cat Design specializes in social media, content marketing, and website and print design to help businesses excel, achieve marketing goals, and succeed.
Contact Fat Cat Design to strategize about your business and services.